Friday, March 14, 2008

FMart a "keeper"

There's a great article on SI.com profiling Mets prospect Fernando Martinez.

From Walter Villa:

He's the anti-Lastings Milledge -- a young man who has earned the veterans' respect with his hard work and humble nature.

He's Fernando Martinez -- a 19-year-old outfielder the Mets protected, even when the Minnesota Twins demanded he be included in the Johan Santana deal.

---

The big question now is when Martinez will arrive at Shea. Earlier this year, he caused his first controversy with the infamous New York media when he was quoted predicting he would play in the big leagues this season.

"You know what happened?" Martinez said. "I said that I want to get to New York in September (when the rosters can expand to 40 players). And then they wrote that I said I would get to New York this year. You understand?"

Perhaps the message was lost in translation, but Bernazard has his own view.

"Making it to the big leagues and arriving to stay are two different subjects," he said. "I wouldn't be surprised if by next year or the following year, he has arrived."

Regardless of when he arrives, Martinez is almost certain to arrive wearing a Mets uniform, for which he is grateful. "The truth, the real truth is that I did not want to leave here," he said. "I was prepared, because this is a business. But I wanted to stay."

Great stuff from Villa. Really makes you glad they hung on to this kid, and excited for him to get up to the majors as soon as he's ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment