Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pedro to play phor Philly

Pedro Martinez and the Philadelphia Phillies agreed to a one-year deal, worth $1 million.  There is also a chance for Pedro to earn up to $1.5 million in incentives.

After signing the contract, Martinez was placed on the Phillies 15-day DL with a mild shoulder strain.  This is to allow him to rehab in the minor leagues before making his first start in the majors.

I wrote this the other day and I still stand by it:

Frankly, I don’t care. Mets fans know how he has pitched in the last few years, battling injuries and a fizzling career. Plopping him down in Citizens Bank Park, where he gave up eight home runs in 18 innings is going to be a joy to watch from the Mets perspective.

Sure, I bet Pedro still has something left in the tank. And of course, he’ll outduel Johan Santana if they match up down the stretch, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over this.

No comments:

Post a Comment