Friday, July 17, 2009

Julio Lugo DFA’d; Are the Mets that desperate?

The Mets just brought Angel Berroa into the fold.  They promoted him to the major league team after just four games in their minor league system.  But could they be looking to pick up another SS off the scrap heap from hell?

Julio Lugo was designated for assignment today by the Boston Red Sox and could be released by the team very soon, according to WEEI.

Lugo, who has seen his name tossed around in trade talks for years now, was once connected to the Mets in rumors, however unfounded or speculative.  Omar Minaya seems to like Lugo, but hopefully that has passed.  But would the Mets be that desperate to pick yet another player off the scrap heap?

I sure hope not.

I was against the Gary Sheffield pick up, but he has proven me wrong.  I was against Livan Hernandez signing, but he gave the Mets a decent half season.  I was against the Fernando Tatis signing last year, but he was amazing in 2008.  (2009 is a much different story.)

And of course, I was against Berroa coming on board (even if he is replacing Argenis Reyes).  And I would be absolutely horrified if Julio Lugo found his way into Mets orange and blue.

Even if the Red Sox are willing to take a huge chunk of his salary, it just isn’t worth it.

I think, if Lugo did end up playing his home games in Flushing, it would signal the white flag to the rest of the NL East.  I hope it doesn’t happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment