Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pedro on the fast track?

According to the Daily News, Pedro Martinez expects to be back with the team soon, possibly within two weeks.

From Adam Rubin:

Pedro Martinez continues to upgrade assessments of his strained left hamstring. The ace reportedly told CDN-37 TV in the Dominican Republic that he could even return to the Mets within two weeks.

"We will give everyone the surprise of the month, I think, if things keep going well and there are no further delays," Martinez was quoted as saying. "...I am surprised with the way I am recovering. It's going much faster than I thought. Everything is moving smoothly. The Mets know that I'm working and that I will not abandon them. I don't want it to be a long wait like everybody thinks."

Am I the only one thinking "No, Pedro, that's really OK. Take your time."?

Right now, the fill ins for the injured starters, Pedro and Orlando Hernandez, have filled in admirably. Nelson Figueroa and Mike Pelfrey have combined to go 3-0 with a ERA around three in 20 innings.

Figueroa will get his second start of the season tonight, as he takes on the Washington Nationals as the Mets look to sweep the three game series.

Pedro should be in no rush to come back. The Mets are cruising right now, and there is no need to screw with the rotation. Sure, if one of the fill ins hits a rough patch, it will be nice to dip down into your system and pull up the one and only Pedro Martinez, but he just needs to get healthy. Don't rush him through the rehab assignment, that's all I ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment