Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fulfilling my Sidney Ponson post obligation

I believe it's written somewhere that if you write about baseball, and you travel to Aruba, you must write something about Sidney Ponson. Thankfully, there is some news about him that does not involve punching a judge or shutting down the New York Mets.

Ponson, through all his hardships, is apparently still "worshiped" in Aruba. According to my parents, who have been here five times previous, there is an entire wall dedicated to him in the Champions sports bar. I will make it my mission to capture photographic evidence.

Born in Noord, Aruba, Ponson is able to pitch for the Netherlands team because of the lineage of the island.

Ponson, starting for the Netherlands against the heavily-favored Dominican Republic team on Saturday, threw four innings, allowing five hits and two runs. He walked three and struck out one.

Thanks to three runs off of Edison Volquez in the first inning and strong relief help, the Netherlands were able to upset the Dominican team for their first win in the 2008 World Baseball Classic.

I will try my best to find this mini-shrine to Ponson.

No comments:

Post a Comment