Monday, March 9, 2009

3-D baseball cards

I was never much of a baseball card collector. I still have boxes of unopened cards from 1988 in my basement that I rarely think about or even remember. Even with that, these new Topps cards are absolutely awesome.

From the New York Times:

Beginning Monday, collectors who hold a special Topps 3D Live baseball card in front of a webcam will see a three-dimensional avatar of the player on the computer screen. Rotate the card, and the figure rotates in full perspective. It’s called “augmented reality,” a combination of a real image with a virtual one.

“This is the ‘Beam me up, Scotty’ version of a baseball card that will get kids to buy more. We see this baseball season as a redefining moment for us,” said Steve Grimes, chief digital officer at Topps.
Check out the photo. (Too bad it's Ryan Howard!)

Too cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment