Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The equalizer

With the Mets very close to signing Francisco Rodriguez for at least the next three years, Joel Sherman asks Torii Hunter and Mike Scioscia how K-Rod will handle New York.

Among the questions, Sherman asks about K-Rod's supposed diminishing velocity, and got this response from Hunter:
His velocity was down in parts of the season but in August I looked up at the scoreboard and saw 93, 94 mph. Plus he developed that changeup and on our team we called it 'the equalizer.'
Seems the Mets will have another nasty changeup in their arsenal if/when K-Rod comes aboard. The ace of the starting rotation has a pretty good one too, if you don't remember.

I like this already. So he's down from 97 mph to 94 mph? He's not even 27-years-old? Three miles per hour may not seem like a lot, but I think he can get by with 94 mph. Especially if he now has a changeup to counter his fastball.

I think I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment