Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pelfrey looks good in limited role

Mike Pelfrey started today against the Detroit Tigers, and what is pretty much their opening day line-up, pitching 2 scoreless innings.

Pelf gave up only one hit, an infield single to Magglio Ordonez, and struck out one batter.

David Lennon relays a quote from Pelfrey:
"I want to be on this team and I want to help them," Pelfrey said a few minutes ago in the empty visitors clubhouse. "Worse comes to worse, I think I’ll just try to make their decision difficult. I think the chances of the whole staff going the whole year without something happening is slim. If I don’t get out of spring training, then some time during the year I’ll get my opportunity. I look at it as there’s no way I can be mad. They’ve given me opportunities, I just haven’t taken advantage of them and that’s the bottom line."
The Mets got a run from a Ramon Castro sac-fly and an Anderson Machado triple drove another run in.

The Tigers are leading 4-2 in the bottom of the 8th inning.

You can't put much stock into what goes on in these early games, but it's still nice to see a good, short outing against a major league opening day lineup.

I like Pelfrey's attitude here, he knows he has a chance, and he's going to try his hardest to make the team out of ST. If not, he's willing to work down in AAA until his chance comes along. Great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment